One Board Game Inventor's Quest

Aloha!
I'm honored you are here reading my ramblings. I am a first time board game inventor trying to break into the billion-dollar toy and game industry. This is my blog, sharing with you all that I learn along the way. Wish me luck and feel free to interact with me!

Mahalo! ("Thanks" in Hawaiian)

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Taxes

Just completed my taxes the other day and I am so glad I hired a CPA that specializes in small businesses.

Even though I have not launched my board game inventions just yet, I have spent a lot of time and money on press releases, my computer, the New York Toy Fair last year, meals with potential investors, etc. Fortunately I kept all of my receipts organized in a folder with a summary page listing everything. This made it as easy as possible for my CPA to go through all of my records. He saved me a LOT of potential heartache.

One thing I did learn is that it is important to keep a written journal wherever you go (i.e. in your car) so that you can accurately log the dates, mileage, receipts, and purpose of your business-related expenses. From what I understand, this makes it easier to justify your deductions at the end of the year - in the event you are ever audited. (Make sure to consult a certified CPA for professional tax advice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment